Friday, September 14, 2012

Let the Great Schlep of 2012 Commence!

It still feels like it's just the weekend. My unemployed status hasn't really sunk in. Plus I'm stressing myself out with all the stuff I think I have to do. One thing I did accomplish was pre-packing my suitcase! What an adventure!

All of my clothing as of this morning, before the Great Schlep:
Holy Sweatshops, Batman!
And after:
Look! It all fits into my awesome purple suitcase! We are packing shoes and toiletries separately. Also I would like to brag that the clothing in that one purple suitcase are for all seasons (I should say, all California seasons...)
I didn't get a before pic of my closet, but I've gotten rid of like 2/3 of my clothing in the last few weeks, so just picture that.

What remains of my dress/coat collection and my scarf/belt collection. 
Undergarments not shown... ;) but they were culled as well.
One major thing I've cut (even though I chopped the number of clothing items in my closet by half, I still have something for almost any occasion) is makeup. I've decided for a number of reasons to go without:

  • I need to replace my mascara and I'm too lazy to go buy it. And without mascara, what's the point of everything else?
  • I HATE HATE HATE marketing ploys for makeup. Even the eco-friendly "alternative" cosmetic companies have taglines that read "We aren't trying to change the way you look... just the way you see yourself." BALONEY. I don't like that I have to paint my face to feel beautiful. That's baloney.
  • The eco-friendly alternative companies are WAAAAY expensive. I will never pay $20 for a bottle of mascara. And I will never buy into the scam that you need to replace that mascara every few months. I call baloney on that one as well.
So now I'm shorn and makeupless, with far fewer options to dress myself with. At least I'm still wearing girl clothes. I am truly blessed to have a man who lets me throw out my makeup and cut off all of my hair (he does draw the line at ponchos, sadly).

Well, I feel as though I've ranted against the machine enough for one day! In the coming week I'll be packing away some sentimental crap that no one really wants (it's for posterity!) and selecting a few things that I'll need borrowers for, and deciding what to actually pack with me in the car.

4 comments:

  1. You are beautiful without makeup Ciara Kay! And when you do wear it on that rare occasion it will make it that much more 'special'for lack of better words. I still think mascara is a must:) but that's just me. I'm an 80's girl:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mamacita! =) I have actually gotten more compliments in the last two weeks (and actually since I shaved my head) without makeup than I think I have in the last year, haha. I don't know if people are just drawn to the fact that I would be bold enough to cut off all my hair or what, but it's been encouraging nonetheless. =)

      Delete
  2. Good for you! I love not wearing make-up. It's such a pain. The only thing I wear with any consistency is mascara and sunscreen and I guess sunscreen isn't really make-up. My question is, what are you going to do after the year is up? Start all over? How nice not to be burdened with unnecessary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is so freeing!! I LOVE being able to rub my eyes or scratch my face whenever I want, haha. XD

      We will be starting over essentially. We have some things 'lent out' for the year which we will collect on our way to wherever our new home will be, but most household goods and furniture we will have to collect again little by little as the needs arise (which I am actually really looking forward to... I'm so glad thrift stores are "in," haha).

      Delete