Monday, September 24, 2012

Wake Me When It's Over...

I wish I would remember to take "before" pictures. Our house was absolute complete chaos. I do have this picture that Jamie took of me. I was beginning to lose my mind and found a happy place with lots of blankets, pillows, and wine.


That was yesterday. Today our house became nothing but stacks of boxes as far as the eye could see. HOW in the WORLD did we accumulate so much STUFF I ask you. HOW?? It's mortifying.

But it is all much more manageable. We sold a few more things, removed a lot of furniture, and even got some of the boxes of stuff out of the house and into the car ready to drive over to the hospice thrift shop in the morning after a jog. We have most of the rest of the big furniture leaving tomorrow as well! All that's left to do is pack up the rest of the kitchen and my art/craft stuff. We do have a few more boxes of things we've decided to store after all (we kept another box of sentimental stuff --my wine gadgets and Bowie wall clock were saved!-- and some kitchen stuff). So I fail at being a minimalist/following specific commands given by God (what else is new...) but at least when we move we will only need one of those little Uhaul trailers and not a whole truck! So that's something.

Today I received a package from my pen-friend The Snail Mailer. She sent me an awesome journal (it's mail-themed, woo!) and some notecards! Which is good because I'm out of notecards. Also I didn't have a journal-journal yet. I have a sketchbook, a commonplace book (and one to replace my current one since I only have a few pages left), a prayer journal, a travel log, this blog thing, and now a diary! Oh, I also keep mini-journals for my Peace Corps friend, Cate. So much for packing light. Hey, it all fits in my one designated crate! So what if that crate weighs more than my suitcase? It still takes up less space! ;) I am a serious papyrophiliac (everything sounds better in latin). I gave away all of my craft stuff without blinking an eye but I couldn't bring myself to toss my paper scraps... I'm actually storing them... apparently no one appreciates a good paper scrap like I do!

Still to-do:

  • Get rid of stuff
  • Get prescription refilled (need more inhalers for asthma)
  • Get Verizon plan switched (we will be sharing a cell phone)
  • Finish painting promised canvasses for the bookkeeping office at my old job
  • Finish storing stuff
  • Make that coloring book page for my mom's classes (may or may not get around to this)
  • Visit everyone we know like it's the last time we'll ever see them again
  • Clean the whole apartment/turn in the keys
  • Figure out how to eat with no appliances or kitchen stuff (our friends are taking good care of us so far)
  • See if we can fit everything in the car or not
  • Practice driving that stupid manual transmission vehicle we're taking
  • Try not to freak out about every little thing
It's really not that bad. We have 2 working days left. Then on Friday Jamie gives a talk, we have a wedding rehearsal, then a wedding the next day, then we leave on Sunday. Holy crap this is happening waaaaay too fast. Maybe it IS that bad... Well, we shall see. If I have to pack those canvasses with me and mail the finished work to the bookkeepers so be it. I hate leaving things unfinished.

2 comments:

  1. Good work, Ditto! The finish line is in sight!:) I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcomed! And if you need more stationery when you stay here, you can "shop" in my office stash.

    ReplyDelete