Monday, September 10, 2012

Should It Stay or Should It Go?

via
In Luke Chapter  12, Jesus tells a crowd a story about a Rich Fool. This fool finds himself with abundant wealth and decides to build bigger and better barns to store it all, and then God shows up and says "You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?" After telling this story, Jesus goes on about how we shouldn't worry about what we will eat, what we should wear, because God has always provided for the birds and lilies, so do we really not have faith that he will provide what is sufficient for us?

One big fear these days (at least for me) is simply being caught unprepared... when deciding what to pack for our upcoming adventure I do have to consider living in New Hampshire in November, driving through Colorado in December, doing housework, yardwork and even farm labor around the country, AND what if we get to go out to dinner? What am I going to wear then?? And what about when we are ready to move to our new home? What if I don't have any furniture? What if I have nothing to decorate my new apartment with?
via
The original plan (which still is the plan... which I'm still in turmoil over) is to sell everything and give to the poor. But does He (the all-powerful Lord of the Universe, I might add) really mean "everything"? Does he really want me to let go of all the things I received just two years ago as wedding gifts?! I mean, how ungrateful of me! How rude! Sure, most people just bought something within their budget off our Target Registry, but some actually did spend time and energy picking out things we really would love (which we really do love). Our house is FULL of robots. We had a robot-themed wedding, and now I think we are doomed to receive robot-themed tchochkes at every major holiday for the rest of our lives. Which is ok with me. I love robots. And I love art. And robot-art is the stuff that not only has real monetary value, but sentimental value as well, and we have a lot of it. Do we schlep those off with the rest? Does He really want me to give up my David Bowie record wall clock? These are GIFTS that people picked out for me! I don't want to hurt their feelings, and I do love the gifts themselves of course... And what about our books and DVDs?? And our computers? I know we will use those things when we are finished with this adventure... isn't it irresponsible to sell them only to buy them back again? That's a terrible waste of resources! (Gasp... He doesn't mean NOT buy them back, does He?!)
via

I know that the things themselves are not evil. My attachment to them is. And if I don't prove by my actions that I am not attached, I'm like an addict who swears they can quit anytime. Nobody will believe me. I hem and haw and always chicken out at the last second when push comes to shove. And I think it IS foolishness also to get rid of everything down to the clothes on your back without a clear reason to do it... or is it? Is that faith? Or stupidity? They look the same without the rest of the story.

This is something I have struggled with for years. I often cite the story of Jesus' encounter of the Rich Young Ruler, who Jesus told to sell everything, give to the poor, and follow Him. I am always talked out of it, mostly with the explanation (excuse?) that Jesus was talking to a specific person in a specific point in time... but this is NOT the only time Jesus asks us to give up EVERYTHING, and not the only time in the Bible that the rich are called fools and the poor exalted and cared for by God.

Most of Jesus' commands, if followed literally, seem like really really stupid ideas. Turn the other cheek (what about justice?) Love your enemies (the ones who humiliate you day after day?) Make sure that no one you know has to go without food, shelter, and love (but I can barely take care of my own family!) Take care of orphans and widows (see last objection...) Be like Jesus (who was hated, humiliated, tortured, and brutally murdered). What human being with a lick of common sense would do any of these things? Following Christ makes absolutely zero sense to the world.

60-70 more years of relying on God to provide for the sake of serving others now seems like a miserably long time and a terrible retirement plan. But, what is a lifetime of having "nothing" compared to an eternity of real treasure, what Bonhoeffer calls "the extraordinary", spent with the God who created me and made my purpose to serve Him, the King of kings, the Great I AM? So why do I hesitate?
Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. --Luke Chapter 12 Verses 32-34

6 comments:

  1. Wow, darn you! That is cutting too close to the quick for me! As you know I struggle with this too. If we were moving again would I replace all I have once more? I've thrown out so much (esp decorative stuff) only to re-buy it later...therefore I'm actually spending MORE resouces. And I am sorry I don't think I can live in a box with a chair, a table, a couch, a bed, a dresser,, a clock, and kitchen items. I personally think you should save the items you Love the most (robot and gift items esp that YOU REALLY LOVE, not just feel guilty about getting rid of) and you can replace the rest later (furniture and sundry items included). you WILL live in an apt. again someday you know (or a house). You are already getting rid of all your furniture (even though you could've stored it at our place) so you do'nt have to toss all your sentimental items..just get rid of the stuff you really won't miss. I think you can do that pretty well, meaning you aren' t overly sentimental and you have proved that you aren't a hoarder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am leaning towards lending out everything we want to "keep" (aside from memorabilia, which truly serves no purpose other than trips down memory lane) and then seeing in a year if we actually want it back... and then selling the rest.

      That way I don't feel like I'm being irresponsible if I end up needing to get that stuff back, but it's still being used and not hoarded in the meantime.

      If this is wrong, may God beat me over the head some more until I get the right idea.

      Delete
  2. I think the truth is the less we have, the less destractions from the path to happiness. The Buddhist have a similar mentality and the truth is we could do with a lot less in our lives. Just look at everything with a critical eye and think, if I can live without this for a year, can I live without this forever. But do not get rid of objects that you find deeply sentimental and that you will regret. It's only a year! If it turns into longer, then sort that out when, if it happens. Think if you do not have all these material possessions to worry about, then you will enjoy your freedom on the road a lot more!
    My Best Always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been drawn to the Buddhist sensibility of less is more (minimalism), but I tend to make that the end goal instead of God the end goal, which is why I have been going back and forth on this for years, haha! I know I should live with less, and less, and less, and make my dependence for entertainment or fulfillment and identity (which are the reasons I have most of my crap) on God, the true provider, than on all of this other stuff, which are like bandaids on a bullet wound. =P

      I can be a light packer no problem, especially when I know it's temporary. One big issue I see in myself despite this is that I need to change my idea of "temporary" to a lifetime, and "permanence" to eternity. So I don't want to make it too easy on myself and know that I can come back to a basement full of stuff someday. ;) I (almost) wish a fire would come through and destroy all of my material possessions FOR me, but I don't think He will let me off the hook that easy, haha.

      Eh, I'm a work in progress. ;)

      Delete
    2. We are all a work in progress. It's the journey that helps us get to the final destination. But also, don't take life so seriously! Smile and don't over think the small stuff.
      Hugs on your journey!

      Delete
    3. You got that right! I tend to get hung up on the little things. ;) Thanks!!

      Delete