Saturday, November 24, 2012

After Thanksgiving

Our Thanksgiving was nice. =) Quiet, cold (heater is still acting up), delicious, with lots of Sufjan Stevens Christmas Music and many episodes of "How I Met Your Mother".

 

We made a 10 pound Turkey, an apple pie, cranberry sauce, gravy, brussels sprouts, and mashed potatoes... all from scratch. =) Oh, and we got some local wine (what is up with East Coast wines??? They taste like grape juice!! Good thing they sell Napa wines over here).

We both missed our families a lot. =( I can't wait to come home for Christmas!!

And then there was Black Friday.


We have a Black Friday tradition. We stay home, eat leftovers, and refuse to make any transactions. I was going to write a big post about how evil Black Friday is, but luckily the internet at the house is spotty at best and it gave me time to cool off. =P

Continuing in the spirit of thankfulness, here are a few things I wrote down over the course of November that I am very very thankful for:

cold weather to usher in the holidays • my husband, who still loves me even though I'm impossibly moody • families and friends who love and support us  the ability to vote for whoever I want • cozy coffee shops to hang out in • warm fireplaces & down comforters • modern plumbing • the postal system • the enormous diversity of culture, thought, and landscape in the usa • paper products & office supplies • the internet • pets • snow!

It just started snowing... that's our signal to grab some greasy diner food and groceries, head home, and start a fire! =)

2 comments:

  1. Darn....I just wrote a long response and it didn't post! Ugh. Well, basically, I said we missed you guys at Thanksgiving too, and are looking forward to seeing you for Christmas! The feast you made looked yummy! The pie especially!! :) I'm with you on the boycotting of Black Friday! I hate it and refuse to participate!
    Safe travels to you!
    Love Aunt Trin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ciara, we were out all day (part of the time at Trin's house- took Ryan to the airport to say goodbye for another month, then to Trin's and Dave' installed a faucet for her, then to Montoya's to pick up more water barrels, then home finally by 7pm! Whew! Your dinner looks wonderful, better than ours for sure:) So sorry the darn heaters don't work at your place- gonna call the plumber back on Monday I hope? What day do you plan on leaving? We still have mail to forward to you but we're a little afraid to send it and have you miss it since it is going across country to a rural area, it might take longer than normal. What should we do? 3 penpal letters.

    ReplyDelete