Saturday, November 10, 2012

MUST DEFEAT THE G.R.E.

Right now Jamie is across town taking the G.R.E. It's only been like 45 minutes since he's left and I don't know what to do with myself... we have literally been under the same roof for the last two months. I can't remember the last time we were more than 200 feet away from each other, haha. It is very strange... But I have the internet to keep me occupied (and some other stuff I should be doing).

The Math Subject G.R.E. (which Jamie is currently taking) is an evil monstrosity of a test that has kicked many a mathematician in the butt. It has quite a reputation. Jamie has taken it before so he knows what to expect, and he has been studying like a beast! It's hard for me to encourage him because I don't know anything about math so he doesn't really believe me when I tell him he's the best. =P But I really do think his hard work will pay off.

In the back of my mind I am constantly dreaming of the future, counting down the days until May when we will know for sure if we're in or if we're out. I sincerely hope and pray that it's the former, and that we will be on our way to our new home in a few months. Since we are not strangers to disappointment in this regard, we have been inventing a few alternatives to the grad school path (for now... I don't think Jamie will get that out of his system for a long while). The latest involves opening a Pie & Coffee Shop because Jamie has been making lots of delicious pies lately... we made an apple pie together the other day (Jamie made the crust and I made the filling) and it turned out to be quite miraculous! We ate the last of it today for breakfast. ;)

Pie!
Yesterday we got a grand historical tour of Nashville from my Uncle Bill, which was very interesting! He knows so much about everything in this town... it's crazy. My favorite story was a local legend about a girl who committed suicide by jumping into the river. The story goes that her lover brought the rock she jumped from to the cemetery and placed a lantern on it because she was afraid of the dark. He would light the lantern every night so she wouldn't be afraid. A little online research revealed the story to probably be nothing but a legend, but there is still a lot of mystery surrounding this particular grave. I think it's beautiful and I love cemeteries and tragic stories, so that was my favorite bit. =)

Ann Sanders Grave
via
Aunt Chris has made dinner every night (and we have not been disappointed... everything is quite delicious!) and we've enjoyed hanging out with them in the evenings. Chris has lots of wisdom to share and Bill has lots of stories, so they are really fun to talk to. =)


Today I think we may splurge a little and maybe get lunch and see a movie to celebrate the G.R.E. being done (for now...). I vote Wreck-It-Ralph or Skyfall... but Sinister is also playing still in Nashville. SCARY. We shall see.

We are here today and tomorrow then we head over to Maryland for a few days!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck to Jamie! Stinks that he won't get results for so long- spring, right? Is May when you get acceptances from schools? Yes Aunt Chris is an incredible cook, and Uncle Bill is a history beast! Enjoy being in that amaizng state another day...that pie looks sublime, btw....wish I could have some! PLEASE make another one for us Motnoyas at Chrsitmastime!
    Just got back from another successful Pinecar Derby (Logan didn't win anything but he was fine). Dad is putting up curtains and we are going to watch the LAST Harry Potter movie (episode 7 pt 2) tonight..sniff, sniff- we hare LOVED watching it together this past month and Dad and I have enjoyed the movies more this second/third time around than the first time we watched them. We are going to have to start in on another movie series soon since it's something the 3 of us really enjoy doing together and logan is not old enough to follow and enjoy a complex story line:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be making pies all across the country, no worries. ;)

      So jealous that you guys got to watch HP with Feewah!!

      Delete
    2. Man, my typing sucks...I meant Logan is ABLE to follow a complex story line now :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ciara and Jamie, I'm so glad that test is over although the time it takes to find out the results for your life is so lame. Why???

    I know you have enjoyed Grandma's little house. I love all the windows and would love to spend my last days in a similar environment. I'm praying for your safe travels in this coming winter weather. We look forward to your return in December. I love reading your blog. Grammy Kay

    ReplyDelete