Saturday, November 3, 2012

Life in Austin

So for Halloween we went over to my first-cousin-once-removed Kate's house for soup chili (which in Texas is chili with beans, which is just what chili is in California) and some trick or treating with baby Grant (my second cousin) who is adorable. Jamie made a reappearance as Joaquin Phoenix (I practically had to beat people off him, he was a hit) and I buzzed my hair again and went as G.I. Jane.

See, I told you Baby Grant was adorable.
A few of my cousins and us went out to Sixth Street, which is nationally infamous, but especially for Halloween. Luckily it was a little tamer being a Wednesday and we could keep our group together fairly well (even after a few drinks) as we wound our way through the crowds. I wish we had spent more time people watching and less time bar hopping, but oh well.

Cousin Kate (dressed as a witch but lost her hat within 30 minutes of arriving downtown, haha), Baby Grant (was an astronaut), me, Jamie, Cousin-in-law Brooke (Corpse Bride)!
Brooke trying on the Mario Head... and Paul, Kate's husband (who went as a "hippie," haha)
I spent most of Thursday recovering from Wednesday (we were out til 2:30am, blergh... my recovery consisted mostly of reorganizing my Pinterest boards... I am ashamed), and in the evening we had a delicious dinner of steak and roasted veggies to celebrate my cousin Alex's birthday! Uncle Grant is really good at making steak... yum! It was a lot of fun, I am so glad we are able to get to know my cousins because they are awesome. =)

Friday we went out shooting (which I did not enjoy) and then we got real Texas BBQ. BBQ in California means grilled meat. BBQ in Texas means, very specifically, smoked brisket or ribs, and it is DELICIOUS. Don't you ever use to term "BBQ" around me unless you mean smoked brisket or I will give you a very dirty look. I didn't much care for shooting, at least not in an indoor range (I might try again if the shooting is happening outdoors)... it was loud and intimidating and guns are freaking POWERFUL... I do not ever want to get shot. Nor do I ever want to shoot anything. =P Unless maybe they are trying to kill me, in which case I'm very glad I kind of know how to shoot a handgun.

Today Uncle Grant and Aunt Jyl took us on a little driving tour of Austin, which was very nice. We saw the UT campus and the Capitol building, and Lake Travis. Then we went grocery shopping in a fancy store (SO MUCH WINE AND CHEESE! If I could only shop one place the rest of my life, let it be there) to get stuff for dinner that Jamie and I are making tonight! We are doing a repeat because it was so good in Redding: Homestyle Mac N Cheese with beer bread, sausage, asparagus and homemade pumpkin pie for dessert!

It was a whirlwind week... I can't believe we're leaving tomorrow morning already! We had a lot of fun in Austin, and (I sound like a broken record) I wish we could stay longer... We barely scratched the surface of this city and I'm sad to leave even MORE awesome relatives. =(

Onward to Nashville!

8 comments:

  1. Hooray for the awesome Cole's of Austin, TX! So glad you had fun and I know you'll LOVE Nashville too- the Civil War history is absolutely increible and be sure to ask Uncle Bill LaFevor to take you on his famous Nashville Tour!:) Nashville is absolutely gorgeous so I know you'll like it there- oh yea, be sure to ask Chris and Bill how to get to the nearby coffee shop hangout around the corner from their house (the Monkey something or other!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall ;) Looking forward to the coffee shops in this chilly winter weather!

      Delete
  2. Now do not be hasty on the barbeque bit. Make sure to sample the BBQ of Nashville and find a good pit. Theirs is slow and saucy I think. Good luck to Jamie on his test! Can't wait to see you both in a few weekends and tell you about the Letter Writing Social! I apologize now to Jamie at the shameless craft talk we will be doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make a point to try some Nashville BBQ too, then, haha! I realized that it varies in Texas too, but people are particular about their BBQ. And don't worry about the craft talk, it'll be payback for all the math talk Jamie does. ;)

      Delete
  3. We loved having you Ciara and Jamie. Hope your travels are trouble and traffic free as you head north to Nashville. As your mom said, you will love Nashville. Chris and Bill are wonderful hosts. We consider seeing them twice a year (on our NH trek) a real blessing. Good luck on your test Jamie. Your dedication to study is amazing. Ciara, congrats again on your logo win. And thanks again for the wonderful Oktoberfest dinner. It was wonderful! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really enjoyed staying with you guys and really appreciated how generous and hospitable you both were! =) We're both really glad you liked the dinner... it was the least we could do!

      Delete
  4. So glad to hear that your time in Texas was so much fun and that you got to meet your very special greats!! We also experienced Grant's brisket - yum. Princess was especially begging for it when we were in NH. I'm jealous that you have meet members that I haven't even met!! We continue to pray for your safe trip - know you will enjoy Nashville and all there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grammy! I am really enjoying your brothers and sisters... it's been really fun getting to know them better. =)

      Delete