Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Surfing and the Alamo

Wow, ok, where to start?? I am falling way behind here...

We had a great rest of our stay in Redding, I got another comic page done, we got to pick out some new pipes made by our Uncle Mike (and Jamie got to test his out), and we enjoyed lots of time together! =) We even got to see my parents again before Christmas (we stayed overnight in Paradise to shave an hour or so off of our trip to Arizona).

Before the sun we rose to begin our journey out of California. Back down the 5 for the third and final time of the year, and into the desert we went. I drove some and am still improving! It's been days since I last stalled out and I am proud of it. ;) We stopped in Mesa (Phoenix area) to spend some time with a friend and sleep on his floor. We also got to watch "Cabin in the Woods," because we have not seen nearly enough horror films this Halloween season, and if you see that one, you've seen 'em all. Literally.

We do listen to Dead Man's Bones quite a bit, which we save for October every year. Here is a sample to get you into the holiday spirit. Halloween is tomorrow, guys! =D


So after Arizona we drove all the way to Carlsbad, NM, where we CouchSurfed for the first time ever! Our hostess was lovely. Very nice, good conversationalist, very welcoming. She also had two sport horses, two dogs, and two cats. So I was very at home. After we stayed the night and said our goodbyes and thank yous in the morning, we took a little detour over to the Carlsbad Caverns, which neither of us had ever experienced. It felt like Minecraft, only real life. I just knew a Creeper would come popping out to thwart my diamond-seeking endeavors at every turn. And then I got over the Minecraft-Creeper feeling and felt like I was delving into Moria. I even spotted a Balrog:

See that Balrog there? Somebody put out his fire... Gandalf??
Temple of the Sun
Jamie is so amazed by the caverns! And I'm wearing my glasses so I don't trip in the dark because I have terrible night vision! We are the coolest kids.
Jamie was so impressed that he has given up his dreams of getting a PhD in mathematics and has decided he wants to be a Carlsbad Caverns Park Ranger instead.
I didn't take many pictures because the lighting was TERRIBLE. What gives. Don't they know I have to scrapbook this someday? Anyway, we were both really glad we got to see the caves for a little bit and I think we both want to go back and spend more than an hour because we didn't get to see everything and kind of had to rush.

Anyway, once we were back in daylight (IT BURNS, PRECIOUS!) we trundled on over to Austin, TX! Did you know that the average speed limit on Texas highways is 80 miles per hour? Neither did our car, because it would start to shake if we got much above 75. Still, the speed limit in Texas actually seems to mean "limit," (unlike California, where the speed limit actually means to add five miles).

We spent our first day in Austin enjoying the company of our gracious hosts, my Great Uncle Grant and Aunt Jyl! They showed us to Zilker park where we enjoyed a good jog. There were tons of people out, I've never seen a more busy trail! It was a good thing though, didn't feel crowded to me, and it helped keep me motivated. Then Jamie and I spent the afternoon catching up on stuff & studying (which is super boring). But the BEST PART was when Grant & Jyl took us and my second cousin-in-law Brooke to THE ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE, which was AMAAAZING. Jamie wants to live there.

Seriously, Chico wishes it was Austin. The El Rey and The Pageant are only shadows of what could be (no offense guys, you will always have special places in our hearts). The Alamo is dinner and a movie all in one. Jamie and I split a Grand Royale with Cheese (burger) and fries, and we got an election-season themed honey brew and a Rogue Dead Guy Ale. Grant & Jyl also ordered chips & queso to share (OK, I'm not sure if all of Texas does nacho cheese the way it oughta be, or just the Alamo, but that stuff was like cheese dip heaven). Californians, be excited, because the Alamo is coming to San Francisco. They also have one in Denver, CO... which means Ryan, you must go check it out sometime! Oh yeah, and we also went to the theatre to see "Cloud Atlas" (which is pretty much just the extended version of the trailer, which is ok with me because I liked the trailer. Jamie is still deciding. I think he's posting about it on ye olde facebook).

Which brings us here, to All Hallow's Eve Eve. I think because we have waited until the day of to pick out costumes that I will go as G.I. Jane and Jamie will go as Fidel Castro. But a lot could change between now and tomorrow night, mostly depending on what treasures we find in tomorrow's thrift adventure. ;)

Expect an exclusive "Halloween In Austin Report" on Thursday or Friday!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! Jamie will make a great Fidel and you'd better post pictures! Yes, we lliked Austin alot too but you will probably get to see much more of it than we did, since we were only there for 2.5 days doing a wedding. And it was seriously HOT and HUMID so didn't want to be outdoors anyway. Where are you trick or treating around there? Are you going by yourselves or with some of my relatives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going trick or treating a little bit with Kate and baby Grant and Brooke and then some of us are going to the festivities down on 6th street, which I guess is like THE place you want to be for Halloween in the country, haha.

      Delete
  2. Do you ever visit the Orphaned Postcard Project? My fellow host of the Letter Writing social writes it and Carlsbad Caverns on her mind today as well. Stop in and read it! I hope you kept Austin Weird!
    I can honestly say you did not want to be with me this Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally checked it out, what a great idea!! Austin had more than enough Weird to go around, haha. I wish we got to do more people watching and less bar hopping, but it was a fun night nonetheless. ;) Did you carve a pumpkin or eat some candy at least? ;)

      Delete