Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Beards and Sing-a-Long Punk Rock

On Sunday we attended the 40-day memorial service for Jamie's grandpa. As I've mentioned before, in Greek tradition the men don't shave for 40 days after the death of a loved one. So there were a lot of bearded men present. If there were a contest, Jamie definitely would have won, but he got a head start, so I guess that wouldn't have been fair. =P


It was great to see Jamie's family again, and we also got to see my family (and a few extended family who were up visiting!) for dinner that night! My parents gave us a big stack of mail (some penpal letters and my absentee ballot among other things... this is the first presidential election I'm actually participating in, haha). It was so good to see our parents and siblings but it was so brief... the time is literally flying by. I still feel like I'm being left behind, that's one thing that didn't change when I quit my job and stopped being a responsible adult. I'm still trying to do a million things at once:

  • Finalize details with our families about expected arrival times, contact info, etc (usually like a day and a half before, when I remember that we have to leave again and go somewhere else)
  • Do normal adult stuff (pay those last few straggling bills, get my passports renewed, respond to possible job offers, vote)
  • Make my comic
  • Write a blog
  • Journal
  • Read
  • Play "The Bear Game" (very important)
  • Cook, clean, spend time with our families (which should be our main goal during all of this)
  • Plan future travels
  • Sleep
  • Get exercise so I don't get fat from all the food we're making
For the last few weeks I've been going to bed around 10 or 11 and sleeping in until 8... but now I'm staying up till midnight and setting my alarm at 7, haha! Well, human beings were made to work, what can I say? It's probably nice for our hosts that we aren't around more than a few days or a week, but it's barely enough time to adjust, establish a new routine, hang out with people, and then try to get stuff done, haha.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm actually feeling better than I have in months about everything. This is really an awesome adventure and we really appreciate everyone who has helped us so far and we can't wait to keep going... I think the worst part of this year will be having to stop and get back to reality, haha. I LOVE doing nothing but hanging out, making art, and cooking and cleaning all day. Maybe I should run a B&B or a hostel... then I could get paid to hang out, cook & clean, and make art all day. XD

I've probably raved about this before, but this is the first time in almost a year and a half that I feel like I have the freedom to make art again. I'm working on my comic and I don't have to rush it, but I've been able to maintain a steady pace for the first time in ever. I even entered a contest online and made it into the final round! Also, I'm in contact with a lady who is interested in hiring me for illustrations. I feel like I have a chance to make this work, to make what I say I love into what I actually do. I feel like God is blessing my brains out and I am having a blast! Let all that I am praise the Lord, AMEN!

Jamie has been really supportive of me and my silly comic projects too... he's also working hard. He's taking the Math GRE in Nashville in November and then he launches into grad school applications! I'll be keeping everyone posted on that as the story develops. ;)

Ok, I was actually going to make this post about our time in Redding so far, haha. I can't believe it's already Wednesday! We arrived late Monday night, hung out with Mattie for a bit (Nate & Aunt Jocelyn were in Granite Bay), said hi to my uncle when he got home, went to sleep, the usual. On Monday we went on a run, got all adjusted, picked up Mattie from school, and made dinner. The Redding Montoyas have asked us to make dinners for them as our main task, which is like asking if I want to get paid to drink wine all day. We love to cook. =)

The Menu:
  • Monday - Roast Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Asparagus, Jamie's Specialty: Butternut Squash Bread, and baked pears and ice cream for dessert
  • Tuesday - Chicken & Black Bean Chili with rice and Sopapilla Cheesecake Pie for dessert
  • Wednesday - Breakfast for Dinner: Oatmeal Pancakes, Bacon & Eggs and Berry Cobbler for dessert
  • Thursday - (We have invited the other Redding Montoyas over for dinner on Thursday, which will be fun!) B.L.A.S.T.s (bacon lettuce avocado swiss tomato sandwiches, UH! THE BEST!), baked french fries, fruit salad, and cupcakes for dessert
  • Friday - Jamie's Other Specialty (he has a few): Four Cheese Baked Macaroni, broccoli, bread, and homemade pie for dessert
So far they are enjoying what we make! =) And we are enjoying making what we make. And eating it.

Also on Monday we decided to go to a Destroy Nate Allen house show! We were two of four people who weren't part of the band/hosting to show up, but Nate & his wifey Tessa still gave us an awesome show! They call their stuff "Sing-a-Long Punk Rock" and it is great. This was my first Nate Allen experience and I enjoyed it immensely. Please check out their stuff and see if they're touring anywhere near you for their last tour before they take a sabbatical for an indefinite length of time!

The hosts had a little girl who absolutely loved the show... right after they'd ended a song, she burst out saying "YOU GUYS ARE FUN!!" We all agreed. (You can see her in a couple of the pics).












I had a moment of weakness and bought a tshirt. IT WAS PURPLE. I regret nothing.

Aunt Jocelyn & Nate are back now and we've been enjoying time spent with the family in the evenings! Their house is awesome... very open floorplan so everyone shares the space. I LOVE it. We played a few games with Mattie last night while we were waiting for everyone to get back home and will probably play more tonight. Also did I mention it's been RAINING. This is probably why I am in such a good mood. This is my weather, the weather of my SOUL.

Ok, I'm getting overdramatic. Until next time!

Love, Ciara Kay.

6 comments:

  1. You'll be making the big drive across the country before you know it! See you next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! That punk rock singalong was crazy-looking! Where do you find out about these things?!? Wow...I live a sheltered life:) Enjoyed reading your menu and made me inspired to make macaroni and cheese (The real way, not by box!). And i'm loving the rain, too!
    Keep us posted on your contests, the illustration job (possibly), your comic, etc...send a link or post photos please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Ciara, I tried again but couldn't get on - drat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I think it worked. I love to follow your blog and an praying for safety as you journey to Tennessee. The leaves should be great - so says Aunt Chris. Grammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look like real fun folks. I'll bet their show is a downright good time! How did you find out about them? Are you related? And if so, does that make Bill and I related three times removed or something? ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie's been a fan of theirs for a few years, and no we are not related. ;) It was a lot of fun!

      Delete