Sunday, October 14, 2012

Our Weekend in Citrus Heights & Some Things I Miss

What We Were Up To This Weekend
  • Arrived in the evening Wednesday night, watched TV with Aunt Trinity before collapsing in bed
  • Thursday, went grocery shopping, ran a few errands
  • Took the pups on a walk
  • Made Turnip and Potato Soup & more Butternut Squash bread with baked pears and ice cream for dinner
  • Watched "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" (o.k... I liked the bits about India being overwhelming to live in, haha)
  • On Friday, took Aunt Trinity to the airport (she's visiting friends in L.A. this weekend)
  • Visited Temple Coffee, got a french press cup of coffee and some thai tea
  • Made a website for Trinity's counseling practice
  • Went to see "Seven Psychopaths" (excellent!)
  • Did absolutely nothing (I read webcomics & watched youtube videos of horse eventing and rodents taking baths) until the evening, when we watched "Tales from the Crypt" and "Mirrormask" (really weird, but I liked it... it was like "Labyrinth" on crack and without David Bowie)
  • Jamie tried to make croissants (which actually turned out pretty good)
  • On Friday we did chores (dishes, laundry, sweeping)
  • And took a little trip to Apple Hill with Erin & Jeff Orr, friends who have recently moved to the Sacramento Area! We visited the Jack Russell Farms Brewery and tasted some beers, then went over to Para Vi Winery (which was very good) and ended at Apple Ridge Farms, where I made friends with a pygmy goat and we ate apple desserts for dinner. ;)
  • Today we are enjoying a quiet Sunday.
It's been a good weekend! ;)

Thoughts From the Road

"Elvish Singing" by Alan Lee (from "The Hobbit")
I still need to write that post about my issues with minimalism. But we are keeping busy, and that's a good thing. I will say a few words about my more recent struggles with being "homeless" and unemployed. ;)

I am missing a few things being a vagabond. Since we got married we've been in a kind of Limbo... not knowing where we will be in the next year and so not being able to really settle into any place. Our first year of marriage we lived in my parent's pool house (300 square feet, which isn't as bad as it sounds), our second we lived in a space twice that size (and accumulated twice the stuff), but neither felt like home because neither was permanent, and mentally I can't fully settle in and "make it mine," knowing that in the back of my head. So in general, while I'm used to living in Limbo, I'm quite tired of it. At least this current state of Limbo changes location on a weekly basis. But there are things you take for granted about having a home and an income.

I am missing stability. I am missing routine. I am missing going shopping (I didn't shop hardly at all before but now that it's not an option I feel deprived, haha). I am missing having pets (but I am enjoying other people's pets along the way). I am missing having everything in it's place instead of digging through a box or bag. I miss having options in my wardrobe (I wish I had kept more shirts and brought less hats). I'm sick of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I want sushi and I want thai food and I want to order pizza just because I don't feel like cooking (on the flip side, I have lost more weight, and as an American female I really can't complain about that, haha).

In some ways it's going to be a long year. Maybe I will adjust, or maybe I'm just a homebody at heart. But the good far outweighs the bad, and like we keep hearing from friends and family, this is the opportunity of a lifetime, and I refuse to succumb to the siren's call of the white picket fence, as alluring as it sounds (well, my version of a "white picket fence" looks more like a Hobbit-hole with a driftwood fence around the front garden, but they really are the same thing after all). My Hobbit-hole days are ahead of me, but for now I must venture out of the Shire. ;) There will be plenty of time for Hobbiting later. And it's not like we're roughing it at all... we have full bellies and warm beds and we are always surrounded by loved ones! So really, I can't complain.

Tomorrow we move on again, but this time it's a short jaunt over to Novato, CA.

4 comments:

  1. Ah! I was eagerly awaiting your post to hear what you are up to in Sacto this weekend. Sounds restful:) And I can totally relate to your feelings of wanting to know you are somewhere settled 'for good.' And I also think that is a good and normal desire- to know where HOME is and to want to be there. It's good you are taking the adveturous, 'There and back again" view of this whole trip. And it's ok to still look forward to getting settled somewhere, too:). Be sure to make me a Christmas list of stuff you do want to have after all your downsizing. maybe a giftcard to TJ maxx for that extra shirt you didn't bring along:) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know that wanting a home is not a bad thing, haha... and I will start a list for when we settle down. ;) Part of the problem is that we literally don't have space for stuff, and we're also trying to save money and be more responsible with the things we do buy. So we have lots of reasons not to buy stuff at the moment, but it's still annoying. =P

      Delete
  2. No great advice to offer. Maybe this year is about dicovering the phrase "Home is where the heart is" Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to learn that quick to stay sane, haha!

      Delete